Las updated: June 17, 2021
Yamaha Motor believes privacy is an important right and attaches great importance to the protection of your personal data. With ingenuity and passion, we strive to offer new excitement and a more fulfilling life for people with safe and high-quality products, services, and events. To provide you the best adventure and experience, we need to process your personal data in some situations, but we only do so when needed. We believe that your Yamaha product and service, and the adventures you experience with them are a valuable part of your private life. It should also be clear to you which personal data you share with us and what we do with your personal data, together with our branch offices, group companies, distributors, dealers, and other partners. We are committed to protect your personal data.
At a glance:
- We need to process certain of your personal data to provide the App's features and functionalities, including location data and speed for tracking routes and remembering your last parked location if you have provided your consent.
- This is especially the case if you have created a My Yamaha Account to join the Yamaha Community to keep track of your route details and other experiences, share them with friends and use additional fun features of the App.
- Only if you provide your consent, we use an analytics partner (Google Firebase and Apple App Store Analytics for iOS) to analyze in general how many persons download the App and how they use the App, such as in which season most users are active, so we can make the App even better.
- If you have paired your Connected Yamaha Motor, such as the NMAX, in the App, you can keep track of your vehicle data, meaning your fuel consumption, battery status, oil status, when maintenance is recommended, malfunction notifications, and automated last parked and last known location.
- These vehicle data from your Connected Yamaha Motor are shared with us, and our parent company, Yamaha Motor Co. Ltd. in Japan. These data are only shared with us and transferred to Japan for hosting purposes, and only if you provide consent to collect and analyze vehicle data of our Connected Yamaha Motor users to track its malfunctions and performance on an aggregated basis and improve the technical quality of our products
- Pairing the app with your Connected Yamaha Motor, also allows you to receive notifications for incoming calls and messages on your Connected Yamaha Motor. These data remain on your devices and are not shared with us. Please always follow instructions and applicable laws to ensure your and your surrounding's safety.
In this specific privacy statement for the App, we explain how we collect and process your personal data, including who is responsible for the processing of your personal data as a data controller, which personal data we collect and process, and how we store your personal data.
This privacy statement will be updated from time to time, such as when there are new developments or changes in how we process your personal data. We will inform you on material changes in this privacy statement via our usual communication channel with you, such as via email, the App, your Account, and/or our websites. This privacy statement does not see to the processing of personal data that is not related to the App.
1: To whom does this privacy statement apply to?
This privacy statement is aimed specifically at anyone who uses our App, whether you have created an Account or have a Connected Yamaha Motor or not and applies to our processing of your personal data as our valued App user. You can be just an App user without an Account, an App user with an Account, or a person who received an invitation from another App user. The personal data we collect and process of you depends on your choices and interactions with us and our partners (for example: authorized dealers), such as when you create an Account.
2: Who is responsible for the processing of your personal data?
We strive to create exceptional value en deep satisfaction surpassing customer expectations. This includes that we take our responsibility as data controller to protect your personal data very seriously. Yamaha Motor Europe N.V (YME) is the regional headquarters of the Yamaha Motor group in Europe, with its branch offices and affiliates located in the European marketplace. It is responsible for coordinating the marketing, services, and sales activities of Yamaha Motor products in the European marketplace, including services such as the App and your Account.
YME's relationship with its affiliates within the Yamaha Motor group
As the regional headquarters, YME is the main data controller for the processing of your personal data by, under the responsibility or on behalf of YME, including its branch offices and subsidiaries in the European Economic Area. As a global company, the Yamaha Motor group has also affiliates in different countries, including our parent company Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. in Japan. These YME-subsidiaries and its affiliated entities within the Yamaha Motor group sometimes process your personal data and are responsible for the processing of your personal data together with YME according to these affiliates' activities and responsibilities and the country you are residing in, for example for data hosting purposes by Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. In those situations, YME will remain the main data controller, together with the relevant Yamaha Motor group affiliate(s). You can find a list of our affiliates here. For simplicity, where we refer to "Yamaha Motor", "we", "us", or "our", in this privacy statement, we mean YME as the main data controller responsible for the processing of your personal data, under applicable (local) data protection laws of the European Economic Area, within the entire Yamaha Motor group and all its other affiliates involved as relevant data controllers.
Depending on your choices and activities, we will also receive from or share certain personal data with our authorized dealers acting also as data controllers responsible for the processing of your personal data. This will take place to provide you a specific product or service you requested from us and our dealers. In addition to us, your authorized dealer is then also responsible for the processing of your personal data.
3: How did we obtain your personal data?
We will collect and process your personal data in relation to the App if you:
- Create or use your Account with the App;
- Pair your Connected Yamaha Motor with the App and provide your consent to share the vehicle data generated by your Connected Yamaha Motor and App.
4: When do we collect and process your personal data and which personal data do we process about you?
If you use the App with an Account
If you would like to have a more personal App experience, upload your own content to your Account and connect with friends or other co-riders via the Yamaha Community, you may choose to create an Account.
Which personal data do we process when you create and use an Account?
If you create and use an Account for the App, we process the following personal data of you:
Why do we process this personal data and what are the legal grounds for processing your personal data?
We use your personal data for the following purposes, based on the following legal grounds applicable to the listed purposes: