We use cookies to help us understand our website visitors so we can improve our website, products, services and marketing efforts.

If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Yamaha website. However, If you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time. To learn more about the cookies related to our website, how we use them and their benefits, please read the "How Does Yamaha use cookies" section on the Yamaha website.


Super Tenere gets 20 000 Mile Service at Wrights of Salt Lake

Location: Calgary to Salt Lake City
Distance: 880 miles

I leave Paul's place south of Calgary at 5.30am after getting in at 1am. After about 3 hours sleep I wake up shaking. I wasn't nervous just sleep hormones confused. Paul has been a super support and I leave quickly and without fuss.

US border at Sweetgrass

My rear tyre is peeling badly. I decide to get it replaced and ride in to Great Falls and find a Yamaha dealer. Steve's Motorcycle Store by 42nd street away on the long main business strip is my main hope and when I explain my situation he finds something for me. I lose an hour and it is raining hard but leave immediately for the canyon that takes me down to the Missouri. There are nice names like Little Prickly Pear Creek and Pipe Dream Bridge that crosses the delightful Beaverhead River. The Montana Railroad follows the river and the yellow Union Pacific engines pull their loads from somewhere to somewhere. Always when I see such a powerful train I am reminded of the many motel rooms I have stayed in when I have heard it’s sound pass.

Lima, Montana; 19.12. Stopped for fuel off the I-15 and spot Jans Café. It is a small brown wooden building with the usual neon 'Open' sign. I am not hungry but know because of the steady drip of adrenaline ambushing my body, I must remember still to eat. I have 300 miles yet to ride to get to Tim's place at Salt Lake and food would stabilise my temporary high spirits. I'd already emailed Tim from a Starbucks in Butte and suggested I arrive early morning on account of there being no way I can be ready to enter Mexico that night. It made sense to pace the trip and keep doing the right thing. This project is like eating an elephant and I'm still dealing with the toes. He wanted me there by midnight. I was 20 minutes late.